Monday, August 18, 2008

On the bayou

One nice thing about living here are the buzzing locust(s?) outside. I love that sound. They are buzzing loudly right now. A lot of people hate it, but it reminds me of when I was little when we lived in Columbia. The dog days of summer.
I don't have much new to write on. Classes started officially today. I will have one, three hour class Mon through Thurs. For the class today, Therapeutic Alliance (fancy name for how to build good rapport with people and interviewing), the professor was out of town, so a GA filled in. We got out after an hour. Easy, easy so far. There are a couple of assignments in that class, but nothing huge yet. The class I'm worried about is Research which will be on Thurs.
After class I went to the Math Resource Center where I will be a GA for freshman math classes. I didn't actually start yet and don't know exactly what I'll be doing, but I think I'll be taking roll and checking on freshman who miss class. It's part of the student success center which is what it's name says it is and the part I'm working in is making sure freshmen don't fall through the cracks.
Did I mention in the last post that I have great neighbors? They are so kind and quick to offer to help. They helped me move in a desk I got the other day, have been very reassuring about this apartment complex, gave me a phonebook, and one has invited me to church if I'm looking for a church home. Which, I've visited a place I like pretty well. Trish went with me last week and then I went again this week and really like it so far. Lindsey and her husband, the one I stayed with for the interview, go there. It is big, so it will take some initiative on my part to get involved, but I like it a lot.
I got my bed on Saturday. It is really nice to not be on the floor. Now for a couch or futon. Now for money. Oh wait, there is no money! It's back to the Asian way of doing things. I did find a cheap vacuum cleaner that took me 2 hours to assemble. If I don't have a couch to sit on, I like to have a clean floor. When I opened the box, there was a big stop sign on a piece of paper saying that if I had problems assembling it, then to not take it to the store but send it back to the manufacturers. That was a bad sign. The holes for some of the screws were too small. Maybe with a power drill it would work, but it took all of my strength (no jokes please) to get those stupid screws in. Anyway, the vacuum cleaner is together now and works!! There is no doubt in my mind now that I do not like to assemble things. I am way, way, way un-mechanically minded.
Good night from the Bayou! By the by, the closest one to me is Bayou Desiard. Still don't know how to pronounce it.

4 comments:

Chrissy Cross said...

Sounds like things are beginning to roll. You will slowly accumulate furniture (garage sales and craigs list are great resources!) I am so excited that you have chosen to do this, I can really see God having a great plan for your life!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are getting to ease in to school. I hope I can say the same thing after Monday. I totally sympathize on hating to put stuff together. That is not my talent. Maybe you should go dumpster diving. There's some pretty nice stuff to be found for free there. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, exciting stuff! Glad you're getting settled in. I actually enjoy assembling things. I get great satisfaction in the end product. Hope you get everything together and find a way to get connected. Have a great week!

Brittany said...

um, that last one was me, Brittany.