Saturday, August 30, 2008

Heat and humidity, but at least it's sunny


Reading, reading, reading is my life right now. It seems like an insurmountable moutain, but as I tried to teach my clients this last year, "I am an overcomer!" It's funny how the things you tell other people can come back to haunt you. Haunt in a good way. My favorite quote right now is 2 Cor. 12:8: "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Let's just say that God has the open door to be very powerful in my life right now. For the most part I'm enjoying my classes and what I'm learning. Not so much my research class, but by the grace of God I will get through.

Monday evening I had a little excitement. I turned my oven on to cook chicken and rice and a second later it made a loud popping sound. I jerked around and sparks and smoke were flying out of the closed oven. I was on the phone with mom, so I hung up really fast, looked inside and when I saw that there was a fire at the back (I hadn't put the chicken and rice in yet) without hesitating I called 911. Maybe a little hasty, but when the firemen got here, they said it was better safe than sorry. I ran down and got one of my neighbors. When he came and looked at it, the fire was out. The maintenence man came and the firefighters came and said that it looked like the element broke. It was a very old oven that's never been replaced, I think. Needless to say, after the big fire a couple of weeks ago and that little one, I'm a little jumpy when I hear any loud noises, smell smoke, hear sirens, etc.

I really like the chuch I've been going to. It's big, but people have been very friendly and welcoming. In the program, I like my classmates for the most part. :) I need to like all of them anyway. We have several strong personalities that like to dominate, but I guess that's how it usually goes. "These are the times that try men's souls..." Just kidding. There are some super, super nice people in class also.

In state news, Hurricane Gustav is on it's way. I've filled up my car with gas, bought jugs of water, and gotten a little cash, have some candles, and have my little radio ready. They're saying we could get some severe weather from it, so I'm getting prepared. :) Thanks Mom, for the good tips. I think that mandatory evacuation of New Orleans began today. The state seems to be very prepared this time around and they aren't taking any risks. Monroe hotels are full and a lot of people will be evacuated here, it sounds like. Well, Frank old boy, that about wraps it up. For the nightly news, I'm Charles Bluewater. Good night. :)

3 comments:

Chrissy Cross said...

Wow! Fires, hurricanes, what next? You have a very exciting life. And as for the reading I feel ya! I only have one class and I have enough reading to keep me very busy!

Rachel said...

Blah!
I bet you'll settle into stuff and soon you'll become numb to reading :)

When you can spare a break, we should schedule a visit!

Unknown said...

Yikes on the fire. Hope you made it/are making it thru the hurricane okay.