Thursday, September 29, 2011

Our State Fair is a Grand State Fair...

This weekend is the Texas State Fair Cousin Reunion in Dallas!! Sadly, it sounds like not as many cousins will be re-uning(is this a word?) this year. I'm excited to eat some fried food and get in some good hanging out.
I had a wonderful birthday! Thanks to all of you who sent notes. I felt very blessed! I did a log of eating and drinking DP, thanks to Dave and a few good friends, and then after church last night I ended the evening by going to Free Pie Wednesday at Village Inn Restaurant. I got strawberry rhubarb pie with decaf coffee. Not far as good as Mom's, but it was nice birthday dessert. :) Each year when my birthday rolls around, and especially this year for some reason, I am convicted about what I'm doing with my life. Am I living boldly? Am I living beyond myself? I enjoy routine and the simple life, so it's easy for me to get stuck there. Not that either of those things are wrong, but I know that those two tendencies I have can influence me stay in my comfort zone and not bless others the way that God has intended me to. So, I've been thinking about how I can be more available to God, how he's already working through me, and new or expanded ways He can work through me. As you know, I'm a fairly easily entertained and fascinated person, so all of this train of thought has kept me entertained(that's not quite the word I'm going for, but can't think of what is). Occupied maybe.
In othe random news - hoping to upgrade from my trash phone soon to a smart phone that will hopefully prevent the carpal tunnel that I feel like I'm developing from my current phone! How am I doing this? Family plans are way more affordable, I've found out recently, so thanks to Dave, I'm upgrading. Trying to train for the White Rock Half Marathon. This is definitely the hardest things physically that I've ever done, and still have a long ways to go. There is a 15k that I'm running at the end of October, which gives me a sooner goal to shoot for. One month. Yikes. My motto? Slow and steady...finishes the race. I'm not going for winning here, just finishing at least at a slow jog. Or a fast jog would be fine too. :) But I'll settle for a slow jog.
That makes me think of the song, "I'll settle for a slowdown". At least I think those are the words. ha I've been on a country music kick recently. Country music is nice in the fall, when you can blare it with the windows down. Speaking of fall, the temps have gone back up, but at least the evenings have been a little cooler.
Hope you all are enjoying the season, and if you're usually at the fair and you're reading this, you are going to be missed greatly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh! The horror! The pain! We so wish we were there! Eat a fried something for me, will ya? Hope you guys have a marvelous time. I think you do an excellent job of taking advantage of the moments your given in order to minister to others. Keep it up! Hope it gets cooler soon!
brittany

bee said...

Sounds like it will be a small cousin reunion, but hey, it will be a "quality" reunion. I think you will have a great time. You will be able to hang together more and not be trying to re-connect with the others. Enjoy! I would love being there.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment on my post! I enjoyed reading some of your blog too! I'm glad you commented bc now I know where your blog is! :) Hope you had fun at the Texas State Fair!