Tuesday, July 6, 2010

To go or not to go?

I don't follow people too much on blogs, except for family, but this guy has outstanding stuff to say. I might be a little biased since he's an MFT, but I like it because he combines Christianity and marriage and family therapy excellently. This recent post on when to seek marriage counseling is good. Although trained in the field, since I'm not married myself, I like to refer to the "experts". A little extra credibility, I think. With some of them anyway. So check this blog out and it's okay to feel anxious at the thought of going to counseling. To me, like he says it's an opportunity for growth, and therefore even though it may be difficult, it's often a very enjoyable process ultimately. Why, why, why, especially as Christians would we not seek opportunities for growth? And you aren't alone. God is with you in the process.

http://rhettsmith.com/

2 comments:

texasholls said...

I think many might wait until they are on their last leg to seek counseling because of the expense or at least counseling is perceived as being expensive a lot of times. It's like waiting to go to the doctor until you get really sick. Maybe not the best way to take care of you health but it saves money.

Jessica said...

True. It is perceived as expensive and actually is expensive often. Every place is different some work with you on a sliding scale based on income, but you're exactly right - people do the same with their physical health. I was fired up when I wrote this post - "everybody should go to counseling!" I don't think that is true. I do think, with the right counselor and willingness to go, it is often extremely beneficial. Of course this will be my livelihood. :)